Saturday, March 22, 2014

Chapters 4 & 6 Reflection

Technology integration is an educational change for both teachers and students.  As I've mentioned in previous blogs, I learned the most about utilizing technology when I was in the actual field of teaching tenth and twelfth grade.  I searched web sites to create a technology mindset for my lessons and assignments.  One site that I recently learned of is Visual Thesaurus (Click Here), to enhance vocabulary lessons.  It is another way for students to understand words visually.  I continue to question the participation gap of the students who have 24/7 access to computers as opposed to those who do not.  According to a recent blog posted by the Harvard Business Review (Click Here), I started to re-think the participation gap in a professional setting.  Maybe it doesn't really matter if one student has more access than another.  The question remains unanswered.

There are various web sites, search engines and virtual references for teachers and students.  The vast amount of information is overwhelming for me.  Chapter 6 presented multiple techniques for organizing information.  One tool that I continue to use on my MacBook Pro is bookmarking.  It's an easy way to save a web site and access it at a later time.  Web sites and the quality of the content can be difficult to decipher the reliability.  I like applying the Currency, Relevance, Authority, Accuracy and Purpose (CRAAP) Test in evaluating information from the web.  I will definitely provide the hand-out to my future students because it is easy to use and understand.  The CRAAP Test also promotes digital/information literacy.  Some of the "Top 50 Free Education Apps" that would be useful in my class are Quizlet, Flashcards+, and SparkNotes.  Quizlet is a great App for elementary, middle, or high school students because it ranges from all subjects (Math, History, English, Science).  It is a flexible way for students to learn vocabulary, or subject area terms.  Students can assess their learning by taking quizzes online.  The App provides students with different ways of studying, such as Flashcards or Audios.  The App can also be used for different professional fields (Accounting, Law, Medicine).  Flaschards+ App by Connor Zwick are literally digital flashcards.  Students can use the digital flashcard app to study on the go at anytime.  The SparkNotes App is useful in an English class because students can use the app as a study guide for literature, poetry, short stories, etc.  I love it because it's great for teaching Shakespeare.  I can have modern English translated into standard English at the click of a finger.

Questions:

1.  Do you believe the "participation gap" continues to exist today?  How do you think the "participation gap" will affect students in the professional world?

2.  How do you organize information you find from online sources?

3.  Have you ever used any web sites to organize information?  If so, which ones and are the sites helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment