Saturday, February 1, 2014

Chapter 1 Reflection

After reading Chapter 1, I started to question my own teaching methods and experiences of technology in and outside of the classroom.  I was not fortunate to have an "electronic childhood."  My household did not have a desktop computer until I graduated undergraduate studies in 2005.  I completed my middle school and high school papers on a typewriter.  In college, I used the school library or computer laboratory to research, print, or save my work on a floppy disk.  As a student-teacher in 2005, I taught my lessons by writing on the blackboard.  There was no technology in the classroom.  After entering the legal profession from 2005 through 2013, my computer skills were basic, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, work-related databases, email, or searching the web.  From September of 2013 through December of 2013, I covered a maternity leave position for an all boys private high school.  I taught tenth and twelfth grade English.  I remember walking into the classroom two days before classes started and only seeing a Smart Board.  This was my first time officially teaching on my own in the classroom and I had no idea how to use the Smart Board.  I felt like a "digital immigrant."  I had to create engaging lessons and learn an entire new piece of technology.  Luckily, I had students who were part of "Generation M" who taught me technology skills in the classroom.  I must admit that I felt a sense of "digital disconnect" between myself and the students.  My lessons that utilized technology created an "active learning environment."  Students were more focused and interactive.  I know I don't have years of teaching experience, but my teaching philosophy includes both teacher-centered and student centered teaching.  A teacher is necessary to provide certain skills or information and at other times students can learn from one another.  The "Rogers Innovation Curve" is intriguing because an individual cannot solely be judged on technology if he or she gradually changes.  When I first stepped into my official classroom, I was a "cautious" and "skeptical observer."  As time progressed, I became an "innovator" or "early adopter."  The Smart board was a necessary tool to teach my students.  Today, I continue to be cautious and skeptical to new technology because I am not technologically savvy.  I do hope after completing this course that I am a little more advanced in the field of technology.

Questions:

1.  The National Endowment for the Arts concludes that reading habits and reading skills are decreasing among U.S. teenagers and young adults due to electronic media.  How can we as teachers increase students abilities to read books on his or her own rather than implementing assigned readings from class?

2.  How do teachers who are not technologically savvy learn new technology to utilize in the classroom environment?

3.  What are some ways to manage "Instructional Practices" in a large classroom (30-35 students) setting?

5 comments:

  1. As a child growing up I really hated reading but as I grew older I realized it was because I wasn't the best reader and got discouraged as a child. I thought I was bad and avoided feeling this way by simply not reading. Now as an adult I enjoy reading a good book once and awhile. One way I think we can keep the excitment of reading for children/teenagers is to encourage them throughout the reading process. I think teachers should give a little extra time to those readers who are behind and make them feel good about themselves.
    For teachers who arnt so tech savy I think could benefit from their co-workers who understand the computer and technology more. As someone who is pretty good with technology and believes it's important part of the classroom I would want to help my fellow co workers who are a little confused

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jennifer,

    Great Post! I agree with you that our students at times are the ones who in fact teach us how to use electronic devices such as the smart board. I'm a big fan of learning by doing and definitely learning from my mistakes. I myself have never had smart board training, I've learned on my own. I'm sure there is a lot i don't know about the smart board. I believe attending workshops and tutorials on how to use technological devices in the classroom would definitely make us more tech savvy. This course will also help us add the fun to some of the dry concepts we have to teach students. I believe that our students are reading on their electronic devices, because the "kindle" has become a hit amongst the younger generation. The New kindle allows adults to lock the video games applications on the kindle so that our students are not always playing the games. Although now that technological devices have taken away from our students going to the library and having the opportunity to meet different students to discuss how they felt about each book they've read. I believe that students are still able to have these discussions in discussion forums on these devices. We are moving in a fast paced society were it is difficult to keep up if you haven't yet mastered the previous version. The bigger problem like how you stated is catering to a large group of students when you have limited resources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, to address your second question, I agree that educators who are not technologically savvy may struggles to utilize technology in the classroom. At the school were I teach, there are two classes per grade level and thus two "grade level partners" as we call them. My grade partner is in her late fifties, and began teaching at a time when having an overhead projector in her room was considered "state of the art." I know there are many professional development courses available (if you or your school is willing to pay!) to familiarize educators with SmartBoards, iPads, and other current technology. She has learned though, through trial and error. When SmartBoards were installed in our school four years ago, she checked out YouTube videos of other teachers using the SmartBoard and just "played around" with hers until she became familiar with it. When a class set of iPads was made available to us this year, we asked fellow teachers that we knew personally how they used this technology in their classrooms and experimented together. Having that type of mindset has really helped her keep up with the younger cohort of teachers who have had significant experience with SmartBoards and education technology even before stepping foot in their own classrooms. When in comes to helping teaching who are not technologically savvy, I think the most important step is to help them adopt a "can do" and exploratory mindset!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that a student’s interest in reading develops when they are in an environment that fosters good reading skills and teaches them the many benefits of reading. Personally for me I started enjoying reading in fourth grade because my fourth grade teacher and her enthusiasm for reading. There are a lot of books that are online now that students can access through their laptops, and even cell phones due to many reading apps. I think if teachers pick works of literature that they think will capture the attention of the individual students in their class base on their interests and hobbies then their interest in reading will dramatically increase. As for teachers to learn to be more savvy with technology, many districts are now offering classes for those who want to learn to use the computer and internet sources (and most of the time these classes are free) also other teachers and even students can help teach these teachers how to be more savvy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your entry really captivated my interest. I am glad to see how your students helped you along to teach you those technological skills. I know when i am introduced to a new technological device. i tend to just play around with it which works well for me because i learn along the way. Technology is changing all the time and for those who are inexperienced i can see how it can be difficult. i think some ways we can manage instructional practices in a large classroom setting would be to break the children into small groups after teaching a lesson and encouraging them to utilize the tools around the classroom to help promote their critical thinking skills and as well motivate them to use strategical ways to help them with activities or assignments. During student teaching i had applied this in the classroom and it worked really well. Students were all engaged and really wanted to make sure they did well.

    ReplyDelete